In this class, you will learn a different way to knit. It is not the German or English method. The yarn will be fed and tensioned around the neck (or knitting pin), leaving hands free to hold needles. Stitches are formed by looping tensioned yarn around the needle using left thumb only. If left thumb is a problem, student might use the right thumb instead. It does not matter if student is right or left handed as knitting uses both hands. This method is much easier in the hands because it takes less maneuvering of needles to accomplish the work, purling is easier than knitting, it is fast and ergonomic. Once they learn how to knit and purl using the Portuguese Style, we are going to practice all increases and decreases on the swatch the students are working on. As a bonus I will teach a Portuguese cast on and bind off. To reinforce learning of new skills we are going to start knitting a hat. Class is Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 3:00PM EST.
- Worsted weight yarn light color
- Needles number US 6 or 7 for practice
- For project (optional): One skein of Koigu 100% Wool – Merino – 175 yards (160 meters) 50 grams (1.76 ounces) AND one skein of Rowan Silk Haze – 70% Goat – Mohair – 229 yards (209 meters) 25 grams (0.88 ounces) held together for the entire project. OR any yarn that gives you this gauge: 22 stitches and 34 rounds = 4 inches
- Needles: size US #7 (4.5 mm) 16 inches long
- Notions: tapestry needle, removable markers and scissors
- Portuguese Knitting pins can be purchased at https://www.andreawongknits.com
Homework: None Skills Needed: Cast on, Knit, Purl, increase, decrease, Cast off.